Jutha Gupah, Maiduguri
The UN Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Mr. Edward Kallon; has condemned the Sunday killings of 30 civilians in Mandarari community multiple suicide attacks in Borno. Konduga is 38 kilometres east of Maiduguri; the state capital and had been severally attacked by Boko Haram insurgents in the last seven years. Kallon in a statement Tuesday in Maiduguri; disclosed that over 40 residents were also injured in the multiple suicide bombings. According to him, “The series of attacks targeted civilians who were gathered in a sports viewing hall to watch a televised football match, as well as at a nearby cafe.” He said among the deceased; is a community volunteer who was contributing to the humanitarian response in north-east Nigeria. Continuing, Kallon further disclosed: “Those seriously injured as a result of the bomb blasts have been transported to Maiduguri for medical treatment. “This is another terribly sad day for civilians in north-east Nigeria and for the humanitarians who are working to help them.” He lamented that the UN and its partners deplore these abhorrent acts of violence. Kallon declared that targeted attacks on civilians constitute a grave violation of international humanitarian law. He urged that all parties to the conflict to protect civilians and comply fully with international human rights and international humanitarian law. He therefore; called on those responsible for these attacks to be swiftly brought to justice. “Our deepest condolences go to the families of the victims in Konduga. We hope all those injured can access the urgent medical attention they require and wish them a full recovery,” said Kallon in the statement. He said the humanitarian crisis in north-east Nigeria is one of the most severe in the world – and is first and foremost a protection crisis. According to him, since the commencement of conflict in 2009, more than 27,000 people have been killed. Women, men and children face grave violations of human rights and international humanitarian law every day.