Every time I open up Instagram, I see a perfectly positioned model or influencer showing off their outfit. And without fail, I assume that said seemingly perfect photo was effortless to capture. I always take it for granted that the person in the photo is naturally photogenic (and that if I’m not naturally photogenic, I’d never be able to pull off the same photo). But guess what? That couldn’t be farther from the truth. Anyone who frequently has their photo taken just knows what works for them, mostly from trial and error. It’s no big secret how to produce an amazing outfit photo; it just comes down to knowing your angles.
Obviously everyone has a different angle that works best for them, but try the following tips and you’ll realize that the perfect outfit photo is just a matter of strategy. From paying attention to camera angles to strategically positioning your body, we’re sharing our top tricks to look even more photogenic. If you’re ready to up your Instagram game, look no further.
- Avoid a low angle: For a more flattering photo, position your camera slightly above your eye line.
- Place you hand on your hip: This will help slenderize your arm.
- Sit up or Stand upright: Paying attention to your posture when taking pictures can make the world of a difference. Hunched shoulders and slumped spines will not elongate your figure.
- Avoid bulky clothing: Bulky clothing will make you look heavier than you really are, so stick to lightweight, thin fabrics, like silk, whenever possible.
- Slightly Twist your body to the side: A straight-on body shot shows you at your widest, but if you stand at a slight angle, you’ll look slimmer.
- Wear dark clothing: Become your most slenderized self by dressing in darker shades.
- Add a filter: Go for a darker Instagram filter, like X-Pro II or Mayfair, for an instantly bronzed image.
- Keep your chip up and out: This trick will elongate your neck and help to avoid any unflattering chin angles. Because let’s be honest, no one strives for a double chin.
- Pull your shoulders back: Not only will this accentuate your collarbone and slim your arms, it will also make you look more polished and put together—and that’s always a good thing.
- Cross you ankles: This is especially true when sitting in a skirt or dress. By crossing your legs at the ankle instead of knee, you’ll never expose too much thigh and will look leaner.