By Afolabi Oluwatobi Lagos Nigeria
Nigeria is in Economic recession. How does the average income family survive in such circumstances? Effective resource management, this week it’s going to be about making the most of your prepaid units.
Briefly outlined below, are simple practices that help reduce cost of monthly electricity bills:
1. Replace old appliances: many timeworn electronic appliances aren’t designed to be power efficient thus consume more power compared to modern ones. For example utilizing a 100 watts, 60 watts or 200 watts bulb would be synonymous to digging a hole in your pocket, instead save cost on the long run by replacing them with energy saver bulbs.
2. Move with the lights: as simple as it sounds most Nigerians fail to practice this. In order to lessen power consumption it is advisable to turn off the lights when you leave a room or when it is uninhabited.
3. Reduce air conditioning: yes why not step outside for fresh air, instead of staying indoor all day with the air conditioner running for extended periods. You can also put off your room air-condition when you are not there.
4. Unplug appliances that aren’t in use: most devices when switched of still consume a little bit of power, this concept is known as vampire power consumption and can be eliminated by unplugging dormant appliances.
5. Be wary of power consumers: the following appliances should be used when necessary as they incur a great deal of power consumption : pumping machines ,air conditioners, boilers, electric cookers, deep freezers , dishwashers, fridge, water heaters, pressing iron, microwave, refrigerators, toasters and washing machine. In addition to this, it is advisable to pump water once a day so as to conserve your prepaid units
6. Locate appliances appropriately: certain appliances consume less energy when properly positioned . for instance, you can make your fridge and water dispensers more power efficient by placing them in a way to allow optimal air circulation. It should be at least 2 inches away from the wall. Also avoid exposure to direct sunlight as high temperature impedes performance of the above mentioned appliances.